Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Restaurant 03894, Wolfeboro, New Hampshire

When I last left you, I was waxing poetic (well, maybe not that poetic) about Paul's and my recent mini-vacation in the lakes region of New Hampshire.  Since the Bed and Breakfast we were staying at didn't have dinner service on Tuesday nights, we needed to find a place to eat that evening.  After perusing the web for some good looking local spots, Paul spotted The Restaurant 03849 in Wolfeboro, about 20 minutes from our B&B.  Upon checking out the menu and spotting some interesting sounding vegetarian options, it was a thumbs up for me!

We got there about 6pm on a Tuesday evening.  The Restaurant is located on the main strip of Wolfeboro, and at that time the town was relatively quiet.  We were seated right away.  I really liked the cozy atmosphere of the restaurant.  It is small, but not crowded feeling, with a small outdoor patio you can eat in as well. 

Our server introduced herself and we gave our drink orders.  She returned promptly with our drinks and went over that nights specials with us.  I ordered the roasted tomato-dill soup to start (which was the soup of the day) and the roasted avacado for my entree (a roasted avocado stuffed with quinoa, oranges, spiced almonds and balsamic reduction).  Paul started with the basked of hand cut fries, and ordered the shrimp and scallop etouffee for his main course.


The soup was very good.  Light, with the dill giving it a flavor different from most tomato soups you get.  The fries were excellent.  Very well seasoned and not too greasy.  It was a large basket; easily enough for three people, but Paul was able to polish them off no problem (of course, he also skipped lunch that day!).


Our entrees then arrived.  The roasted avocado was excellent!  The orange with the balsamic reduction gave the creamy avocado a nice contrast in flavor I enjoyed very much.  It was so much better that the lone pasta dish you usually have to order as a vegetarian.  The side salad that it came with was a little over dressed for my taste, though.  Paul said his etouffee was very good, with a nice amount of heat; enough to give some flavor without overpowering the pallet. 


I wasn't planning on ordering any dessert, but, since it was my birthday, and coconut is my new favorite flavor, I ordered a slice of their coconut cake.  It was described as a coconut cake with coconut frosting and toasted coconut on the sides. This was the most disappointing part of the meal.  I could not taste any coconut in the cake at all, except for the toasted coconut on the outside of the cake.  It tasted like a basic vanilla cake which they had just removed from the refrigerator.  It reminded me of those Pepperidge Farms cakes you get in the freezer section of the grocery store.  A disappointing end to an otherwise good experience.


All in all, I do recommend you check out The Restaurant if you find yourself in the area.  The eclectic menu will satisfy many tastes, and the meals were very good.  Maybe just skip dessert!



The Restaurant 03894 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment